Monday 3 August 2015

Radiation therapy, new board games and fixing PC power supply.

Now an update since my previous post today, I am back from the hospital. Done my radiation therapy. After all irritation and frustration I felt this morning. I've dealt with all the things I needed to do. 

Turned in my Neato for repair, bought a new power supply for my computer. And picked up a package from the post office with some new board games I wanted. 4 new boardgames. 2 that I have played before that I really liked, and 2 new ones that I think looked like fun.

Battlestar Galactica that I have written about before is still standing set up and ready to be played. I got stuck on the first round, I didn't really know how the crisis procedure worked just from reading the manual. But then I looked at a tutorial video on youtube, and it looked quite simple.

As long as I can get my thoughts and worries about my cancer situation away. When I get that good feeling that everything is OK right now, I feel free and happy. I can easily get back that motivation to keep playing.

But now for the new games


I've played Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride before. But Power Grid and the one with the Swedish title "När då då?" looked like a game I might enjoy. I like nostalgia and, yeah, history and things.

Now I feel I need more painkillers, and I take 15mg anyway. It's difficult to keep my own 5mg promise. I really want to be sure that the pain is gone. And I'm just afraid 5mg wouldn't be enough. I feel so stressed up and angry. Now I just want to relax and fix my computer. And just hope that the new power supply will do it. Otherwise I need a new motherboard and everything *sigh*

They said that I shouldn’t get sick from the radiation. But I do feel a little sick anyway. I took medicine for that, Postafen. That will also make me a little bit tired so. It will hopefully make me feel more relaxed.

Now that my poor Neato is in for repair, it can take up to three weeks until I get it back. I need to vacuum my home manually again *sigh* ;P

16:40, New power supply installed

I have now installed the new and also quite fancy power supply, I bought a EVGA SuperNova 850 G2. I was looking around on the Swedish website prisjakt.nu. First I was going to buy a Cooler Master (don't remember the model), but it didn't have any comments or ratings on prisjakt. But the EVGA had lots of good comments and a high rating. They were both about the same price so I choose the EVGA and trust the positive reviews online.

After the installation, it looks messy and nice like this.



However, when opening the box I think it was a little bit too much "fancy luxury" for my taste, not that it matters much since I probably get the functionality I need and good quality anyway, and that is what is most important for me. The power supply came in a nice canvas bag. With an extra bag for cables.



I am the kind of person who would be happy to get a product with just some brown corrugated cardboard taped together, and no fancy colours or specially designed surface on the chassis. I think it is kind of silly. As long as the electronics is good quality, I'm happy.

But that is how it is on the PC market these days. PC gaming has become this big industry. And electronics need to look "fancy" and cool, with a window on the side of the computer chassis so you can see all the coloured contacts on the motherboard and coloured spinning leds on the fans. *facepalm* I don't care one bit about that.

Then I also made a mistake *facepalm*, when installing one of the SATA powercables, I pulled it too hard and the little plastic connector broke off. However the pins was not damaged, and the HDD works. It is an old HDD and the plastic has probably started to get brittle.


Worst of all, it is the HDD with the OS on it. But, it might give me a reason to finally upgrade my hard drive to an SSD for the OS. At some point.

And finally, an image of the old broken power supply. Now I am a little bit interested in finding out what the error is. The fuse seems to be OK. I've heard that the NTC thermistor is something that is the first thing you should check. Maybe I can write a post about that later if I get into troubleshooting this crap.
That dark spot on the inside of the chassis looks suspicious. It was only a 600W power supply, maybe it was too weak for my computer, *meh* I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment